Yesterday, Luis Fernandez and Humberto Aguilar were interviewed by TV Marti regarding the recent allegations by U.S. prosecutors that millions of dollars defrauded from Medicare were routed to Cuba’s financial system.
In response to these allegations, a Cuban official said Wednesday that the country has strict controls to avoid money laundering and works closely with banks to detect and deter fraudulent transactions.
“Foreign commercial banks that maintain accounts in Cuban banks are obliged to operate in strict compliance with international and Cuban rules and must guarantee the reliability of their transactions and the correct use of their accounts,” said Johana Tablada, Deputy Director for U.S. affairs.
Earlier this week, U.S. prosecutors filed a motion accusing 46-year-old Cuban-born U.S. citizen, Oscar Sanchez of conspiring to send proceeds from the alleged Medicare fraud to shell companies in Canada, then to a bank in Trinidad and ultimately to Cuba.
Sanchez was ordered to be held in custody pending arraignment, scheduled for Friday. If convicted, he faces up to 13 years. Sanchez’s attorney, Peter Raben, declined to comment on the charges.
Prosecutors clarified that Cuba is not suspected of involvement.
“There is no allegation and we have no evidence that the Cuban government is involved in this case,” said Alicia O. Valle, special counsel to the U.S. Attorney.
To watch the TV Marti interview of Luis Fernandez and Humberto Aguilar, click on the video below [in Spanish]: